What is Deferred Action?
Deferred Action is a program that began in 2012 to benefit individuals that have been in the United States from an early age and have no legal status. Deferred Action does not technically provide a legal status but it does provide work authorization and relief from the worry of deportation during the course of the authorization so long as the individual stays out of legal trouble. The benefits of having work authorization include access to a social security number and access to a driver’s license in most states.
Basic Requirements for Deferred Action:
- Applicant must have entered the United States before the age of 16
- Applicant must have lived in the United States without any long interruptions since 2007
- Applicant must have: Graduated from high school, obtained a GED degree, be currently in school, or be enrolled in a program by the time the application is submitted to USCIS
- Applicant must have never been convicted of a significant misdemeanor or 3 separate misdemeanors (if you have a criminal history it is HIGHLY suggested to consult with an experienced immigration attorney before submitting a DACA application)
- Applicant must have been under 31 years of age on June 15, 2012
Forms Necessary for Deferred Action Applications (All forms can be found for free on USCIS.gov) :
- I-765 ws
- G-1145 (Optional)
*Please remember that forms must be accompanied with evidence to show all requirements are met, do not send only forms. Look below for a worksheet to help organize your Deferred Action application package.
*Also please remember that all documents in any language other than English must be accompanied by a translation.
Click here to watch videos of Corrales Law Group Attorneys explaining various aspects of DACA
Download a checklist to help organize your Deferred Action Application evidence: Deferred Action information and documents required
Our office has helped applicants from all over the country with their DACA applications, if you have any questions or would like an experienced attorney to help you with a DACA application at a reasonable price, contact us today!